First Pediatrician Appointment

Sienna is three weeks old today and we’re getting into a pretty good routine. There’s only been one night since my parents left that she seemed to have confused her day and night. Other than that, she’s pretty much textbook, waking up every 2-4 hours in the night to eat, burp, have a diaper change, bounce around a bit and go back to bed.

I love the picture to the left because she's sleeping like a frog and her cousin Madi loves frogs! The pic below was taken just after a bath and I laughed to tears at her hair standing straight up! She's so cute!

Although I have a bassinet in my room, she’s been sleeping next to me on my bed in between one of those you-can’t-roll-over-two-cushion deals. As a paranoid first mom, I’ve liked having her next to me so I can make sure she’s breathing through the night :) I’m much better than I was the first two weeks, but it’s still a comfort to have her there. I try not to jump up at every move, but I peak over at her to make sure she’s okay when she makes a sound. I think the days of sleeping soundly through the night are over for me.


I had an awesome surprise the week before Sienna was born when I found out I’d be getting maternity leave. Tete, my Vice Principal last year and Principal this year, fought for me at the beginning of the summer because she said she’s a mom and there’s no way someone should return to work so soon after having a baby. On week two of my leave, I’m so appreciative of her efforts! The board still hasn’t informed the administration as to how much time I get, so I’m just at home waiting to be summoned back to school. I’ve been told it’ll most likely be anywhere from one month to 40 days of leave.

On Wednesday, Sienna had her first pediatrician appointment with Dr. Blanco in the Multimedical building of zone 15, near school. On our way to the appointment, I stopped at the hospital to pick up my insurance card and found out that $1000 US of the $1700 bill was covered by CIGNA!! Another pleasant surprise, as I was told that insurance would cover none of the birth. I gave the hospital my card just in case and it turned out to be the right move. I still can’t believe that the entire birth, including hospital room, anesthesiologist, pediatrician, doctor, drugs, etc. came to the small total of $1700. Unbelievable.

Reina, the nanny, came with us and we found out that Sienna gained 10 ounces in her first 19 days of life, weighing in at 8 lbs (her birth weight was 7 lbs 6 oz) and she grew 1.5 cm and is now 54 cm long. All the other “tests” went well and she’s perfectly healthy and growing just as she should. She’ll return on October 8 for her first set of vaccinations.

Wednesday was also my friend Jaime’s birthday, so after the appointment the three of us headed over to school to bring Jaime Subway for lunch and I spent a couple of hours completing the Math plans for the fifth grade teachers (there are 5
total, including me) up to the end of first week of October.

Other than that, all is well. I’m very fortunate to have this time at home, getting to know Reina better and being able to see how she is with Sienna. She’s a hypnotist, of sorts, as Sienna calms down and often falls right to sleep in her arms. I’ll feel extremely comfortable when I have to return to school, knowing that Sienna is in good hands with Reina.