Semuc Champey


Thanksgiving weekend was spent in beautiful Semuc Champey! A group of us including the Bergs, the Turners (who live in Casa 6), the Connors (who live in Casa 7) and me (who lives in Casa 8) rented a van, loaded it with backpacks and coolers and headed seven hours out of Guatemala City to the middle of the jungle to lounge in hammocks, swim in limestone pools and explore caves by candle light.


We arrived at close to midnight at El Retiro Lodge, a backpacker outpost that we were under the silly impression that we had reservations at - but that was only before other people arrived and apparently it's a first come, first serve type of establishment (which falsely isn't advertised as such). After I spent the first night sleeping in a hammock, we were given real beds and all else went off without a hitch.


We went on a tour of the Lanquin caves, took a dip in the Semuc pools and hiked our butts off for 2 hours up to check out an amazing and worthwhile view.



I missed Sienna and was glad to board the van and head back to the city. All three families - the Turners, Connors and me - had our nannies stay with our little ones while we were gone. It was the first time I had done that and also the first time I was away from Sienna overnight. I was surprised at how much I missed her.