Uncle Duane Will Be Missed

On Tuesday, February 21, my uncle and godfather, Duane Storelee, died suddenly of a massive heart attack in his home. He had turned 57 on January 3 and will be missed by everybody who knew him. I flew to Minneapolis immediately and was able to attend his wake and funeral, which were both very nice and comforting.

I'll miss reading his emails, always full of family stories, current events, and comic relief. Duane was articulate enough to express his views completely and honestly in one, short sentence. I've never met anyone like him. The impact he's made on my life and the way he viewed the world is something I will never forget.

I wrote this poem and read it at the cemetary as my final goodbye to an uncle and a friend whom I loved and adored.

If you knew him, then you loved him
That right there says it all
An honest and devoted man
His shoes to fill not small.

His boys, Jeff and Jeremy
Have grown into such men
Who will fill the void left behind
For they were taught they can.

Cindy and Duane
Weren’t your average couple
They were partners, like a duo
No one without the other.

The rides to work, the Friday nights
It’ll be no easy struggle
But she’s not alone, we’re family
To help in times of trouble.

A brother he will always be
His presence will not end
That smile, snicker, honest remark
From heaven he will send.

You know he’ll keep us laughing
And remembering things he’d say
It’s Duey style, no other
A unique and direct way.

He wasn’t just my uncle
Or a Godfather by assignation
He was wisdom, strength, tenderness
Traits without resignation.

Although he left so suddenly
And I long for one more chance
To say the things I need to
Or share with him one last dance.

I realize I don’t have that option
And to me Duane would say
Get over it and be strong
We’ll meet another day.

I’m a better person for knowing you
and cherish every moment we had.
Godspeed, Shelly

March 3, 2006

To All Friends and Family:

I would like to thank you all for your strong support during this difficult and sad time. Seeing how cherished my Dad was by all of you has been very comforting. My Dad was a very proud and beautiful man. I only hope that someday I can look in the mirror and see half the man he
was.

Dad: May all of your tee shots be long and straight in Heaven. May all of your days be filled with warm sunshine. Give Grandma and Grandpa Guzzo, Grandma Storelee, and Uncle Larry a big hug for me. I love you and am truly honored to be your son.

Jeff Storelee (Farmington, MN )