The Little Differences

Hey Whitey!
All weekend, Heather and I were called “guera” (pronounced GWERA) by Sirley’s mom. This translates to whitey and is often used by the locals here to describe gringos. I was wondering what it would be like if I brought somebody home to visit my parents in Minnesota and they called them “darky”…it wouldn’t happen, of course, but I’m really wondering if Mexicans would care. This is a culture where a term of endearment is “gordita” or fatty and illegal Mexicans in the States are openly referred to as “mojados” or wet people, due to the crossing of the Rio Grande.

Don’t Flush the TP!
In Mexico, as in many of the countries I’ve visited, you’re not supposed to throw your toilet paper in the toilet because it causes clogging. Heather and I cannot get into that habit, but we’ve had the displeasure of using many restrooms with such a system. I don’t think I need to be any more descriptive, but let’s just say that I’m glad whatever system we’ve employed in the States allows us to throw such unsightly items down a drain.

Change or Gum?
Heather and I stopped in an Oxxo convenient store on our way to the beach to buy some water and snacks and when it was time to give us our change, we were told they didn’t have any half peso coins, but would we like some gum. We smiled and accepted the chicle, laughing at what would happen in the States if you offered candy in exchange for proper change.