School News

There's nothing too exciting happening at the American School Foundation of Chiapas, but we do have a man with a gun on the premises daily.

Sixta or Sexta, we're not sure how he spells it, but I call him Six-Shooter, is our Security Guard. He's on duty around the clock, even sleeping at the school. Apparently, schools are prime for burglaries in Mexico.

If desired, we're able to go to school and get work done at any and all hours. For those of you who know me, my overactive drive toward efficiency and organization makes it possible to NEVER stay late or put in hours on the weekends. Life's too short and I'm too anal!

Grades 7-9 were dissecting frogs and seeing as my 6th graders are considered part of the Secundaria and therefore share a building with them, we headed to receso a little early so we could check out the gigantic toads pinned down to rubber.

My dissection experience involves the awful smell of formaldehyde, which is actually the nastiest part of dissection! Well here at ASFC, we do it differently.

The students were actually assigned to chase and capture their prey, bringing it to school ALIVE. I'm not exactly sure how they killed the humongous toads, but several students made a business out of capturing and selling the creatures, the bigger the better. I must say the lack of formaldehyde stench made me a believer that this "natural" route is an improvement.