Mi Dieta Mexicana

Food, Food, Food - one of the best parts about travel to other countries!

This tasty dish to my left I ordered at a great restaurant close to school and close to Glenn and Kris's apartment. It's across the street from the photo studio where we've had our pictures taken for our FM3 Mexican work visas three times. There was a problem the first two times so we had to return, giving us an excellent excuse to stop by and try a different dish.

You can't beat the price of 30 pesos, which is less than $3 US and includes a gigantic, completely fresh and sugar free (if requested) drink of fresh melon (or pineapple when available).


My Mexican diet consists mainly of the food items I purchase each weekend at the fresh fruit and veggie market at Plaza Civica. For 40 pesos (less than $4 US), I bought a papaya, cucumber, cilantro, 2 mangos, 3 Roma tomatoes, 3 avocados, 2 jalapenos and 2 limes.

I shop at Gigante market for the rest: black beans, locally made salsa habanero (pictured in the bottle) local Chihuahua cheese (pictured in plastic wrap), fresh hand made corn tortillas (2 pesos for 1/2 kilo - eating them everyday, I can barely eat them all in a week before they go bad), tortilla chips, yogurt, bread, whole wheat crackers, peanut butter and jelly. I'm still an American and enjoy my PB & J occasionally!


The mixture in the top, left corner of the photo is the delicious fruit mixture that I blogged earlier. Check out the recipe and give it a try - it's absolutely delicious! I make it weekly after a trip to the farmer's market!

Buen provecho!