Tribute to Grandpa Storelee

Don't be afraid that your life will end
Be afraid that it will never begin.
- anonymous

I lost my grandfather the night of Wednesday, September 13 at the age of 90. A humble man, it was my pleasure to write the following tribute that was read at the funeral by my cousin Jeremy. Grandpa Gil, pictured with his children in 2001, was a WWII veteran and was buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in St. Paul, MN to the tune of Taps and a 21 gun salute. I'm happy he's resting in peace with my grandmother who passed almost 19 years before him and my Uncle Duane (pictured kneeling to his left) who passed away last February.

Dear Grandpa,

I wish I could be there to say goodbye in person, but I know you are with me today. I wanted to make sure this letter reached you and my dad assured me he’d place it beside you. I have so many things to thank you for.

First, thank you for being a part of my life. I’ll forever picture you on the davenport, as you call it, chuckling as you watched your grandchildren at play. Or waving from the front lawn on Kenny Lane as we drove off. Or watching NASCAR in the TV room on Sunday or any other day they happened to be racing. Or rubbing your ear, possibly hoping it’d improve your hearing. It’s often the little things that one remembers.

Thank you for being direct. In a world of political correctness, it never failed to bring a smile to my face. Often times I think of the runner on your street years ago that you referred to as a “stupid SOB”. I never had to ask how you felt about running as a form of exercise and the comment has made me laugh for years – often as I, myself, am out for a run.

Thank you for worrying about me during my world travels; it made me feel loved and cared for. I was always impressed by your vast knowledge of international events and hoped that I put your mind at ease, at least slightly, with my promises of safety and security. I enjoyed our talks and will miss learning from you, as you seemed to know at least something about everything. I tell my students that is what many years of reading will afford them.

Thank you for fighting in WWII. I’m proud that you were part of such a world-changing and noble historical event. I enjoyed each and every one of our question and answer sessions about your experiences and I’m honored that you allowed me to have the uniform you wore. It really meant a lot to me. My dad and I will continue the Storelee WWII Book Club in your honor.

Thank you for your last words on Wednesday before you passed away, “I’m going home with my wife tonight.” I cried knowing you were where you were supposed to be and laughed at your infamous ability, up to the very end, to unequivocally state the facts. Give my love to Grandma and Uncle Duane.

Last and most importantly, thank you for my dad - a great storyteller, an even better dad and my best friend. That isn’t something most daughters can say, but our relationship is and has always been one-of-a-kind and precious to me. Please put extra protection on him, as I would be lost without him. As the years have passed, my dad has come to look, walk and act a lot like you. In as many years, I’ve noticed more and more of my dad in me. I’m proud to be a Storelee and hope I’ve made you proud of me.

I am so thankful that I had you in my life. I don’t think you realized how much you meant to me. I’m smiling knowing that your modest reply would be that you’ve done nothing and we shouldn’t be making such a big deal of you and your life, but here you’re wrong. You’re a part of me and I’m a part of you and I’m looking forward to having you by my side today and all of the days ahead as I go on more journeys around the world and at home. I’d be honored if you’d be my footprints in the sand.

With love and admiration

Your granddaughter,

Shelly