Sienna's Wonderful Life

Since leaving Guatemala six months ago, when Sienna was nearly 3, she has grown up a lot! We spent the summer having a blast with family and friends while Sienna continued to speak Spanglish.

Once she started preschool, she really came out of her shell - not that she was ever in a shell, but she got pretty clever and comical. Sienna did, unfortunately, stop speaking Spanglish, for the most part, and if I speak to her in Spanish, she responds in English. At least she still understands what I'm saying.

Like a seasoned overseas veteran, she makes friends easily. All kids, including those in pictures and on television, are her pals. She's always been the youngest in the group and this remained the same in her preschool class where her classmates, Aryona and Bujin, are both a year older. Their parents are teachers at AIS, Red and Iggy are from Florida, while Gunther is from California and his wife is from Mongolia. Another AIS teacher's daughter, Koreena, is five or six months younger than Sienna, so she's enjoying being the big girl in that relationship.

Sienna really misses her Nana, Papa, cousin Madi, Tia and Uncle Duck and can't wait to go to Minnesota for Christmas to see them. I anticipate that it'll be more difficult to leave this year.


Sienna preparing to move to Vietnam
 Happy Birthday, Papa!

2 October 2011 
Sienna put her new sunglasses on and I said, "You look like a movie star." She turned to me and said, "You look like a Halloween freak."
Ahnika's Birthday Party at the Hard Rock Saigon

13 October 2011 
Sienna parked her bike near the window in our apartment and pretended she was getting on an airplane. When I asked her where she was going, she said, "Africa to buy some candy." How the imagination of kids change once they've gone to preschool!

Sienna's learning a lot of song at school
 
14 October 2011 
I asked Sienna to grab the remote and I specified, "The black one." She told me her friend, Aryona (whose mom is African American), said she is black and Sienna pointed at her skin. I said, "Oh, Aryona said she is black?" and Sienna said, "No, I'm black." I laughed and she just kept saying, "Mama, I'm black!"

Happy Birthday, Madi!

26 October 2011 
On our beach trip, if Vince was talking a lot, Sienna would put her hand in front of him, turn it and say, "Locked!"
First Day of School
Sienna's new school, Alliance 6, in District 7 of Saigon.
Visiting Sienna's new school - she was so proud!
Nana sending Sienna off to school on the first day while I cried!
Such a big girl
Visiting Sienna's school just to say hello


Sienna's first report card, with a mugshot, at 3 years old sounds a bit like mine, according to Nana and Papa: Sienna showed eagerness to learn more although her span of attention is too short. She is starting to handle the crayons, pencil and objects using her motor skills. Sienna could trace words, letters and numbers, she is also starting to appreciate the use of different colors on her worksheets. Sienna finishes her work as we keep on encouraging her, though she keeps on talking and chatting with her seatmates. (We really love this little girl!!) Well done Sienna!!
Playing at the Lotte Mart Play Land while I watched a movie. She loves it here!
  
Sienna's classmates Bujin and Aryona and big sister Ahnika at the Hard Rock Cafe Saigon.

1 November 2011 
Me: Oh, Sienna, you shouldn't put Smarties in your ears. 
Sienna: But I need it to go runnin'.

Sienna being silly at Peaches with Nathalie while Michael looks on.

2 November 2011 
Sienna's speaking Vietnamese now and I have no idea what she's saying. She looked at the television and said, "Cham bay choi."

Playing in the rain and mud with Koreena.

12 November 2011 
Today, Sienna looked at me and out of the blue said, "I'm going to be a doctor." I asked her why she wanted to be a doctor and she said, "So I can fix everybody who is sick."

Checking out the new Crescent Mall in Phu My Hung with Koreena.
And deflating the Santa snow globe...oops!

20 November 2011
If only I had a button that would take a satellite picture of what was happening at any given moment...cruising home from breakfast and a scooter with a mom and her two adolescent daughters drives alongside of us to coo over Sienna sporting her helmet, sunglasses and matching "seatbelt" strapped to me. Moments later and while we're in motion, they're handing Sienna a piece of candy. Sienna's waving like a celebrity saying cam on (thank you) and tam biet (bye) as if this is all just normal. Vietnam is fun!

Running around the Crescent.
Off to the Charity Bazaar at Saigon South Int'l School.

28 November 2011
My mom asked Sienna if her friend at school, Do Yeon, was Vietnamese and Sienna said no; I asked if Do Yeon was Korean and Sienna said yes. I was surprised that she knew these things so I pressed on...Is Bujin from Korea? No. Is she from Mongolia? Yes. Where is Nabia from? India. Are Aryona and Ahnika from the United States? Yes. Are you from the United States? Yes. Or are you from Guatemala? Pause, no, I'm from the United States. I guess kids do know these things at 3 years old!

Trick or Treat with the AIS kid gang!

11 December 2011
Sienna, at the ripe old age of 3, turned to me and said, "Mom, who are you texting?"

On the weekends, a group of us get together at Jaspa's in District 1 for
The Breakfast Club. Sienna's always the center of attention, just as she likes it!

 Playing with pals at Sky Garden

 Rainy Season Vietnam
Eating lunch at Geelicious
We unfortunately couldn't keep the fish alive.
Christmas 2011 at the Charity Bazaar